On Monday we celebrated Patriot's Day here in Massachusetts.
It's a holiday celebrating the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the first battles of the Revolutionary War.
Every year they do a reenactment of the Battle of Lexington in Lexington at 6:00am and it's apparently REALLY cool!
AJ got to go to the reenactment with the young men from our ward. I desperately wanted to go with them, but there was no room in any of the cars (they were completely full). :(
I made AJ promise me that we would go next year!
Anyway, below are some pictures AJ took of the reenactment. He said it was really intense and you feel like you are literally watching a real battle.
AJ said it was really loud with all the gun shots!
How cool is that though?
Another major event that takes place in Boston every Patriot's Day is the Boston Marathon!!
A friend and I walked down to the finish line near Copley Square and it was insane!
There were so many people!!
It could not have been more perfect weather though (at least for the lazy observers like me).
I'm sure the actual runners didn't agree at all... 85 degrees probably isn't much fun to run a marathon in.
It turns out 2,000 runners dropped out of the marathon at some point along the way because of the heat. Most of these people have traveled from far away to run the marathon, so you know it's bad when they have to drop out.
I was sweating and I wasn't even running!
It's also really humid in Boston on hot days... so a lot of the runners may not have been prepared to run in humidity.
When I got back to work after watching the marathon, I said to my co-workers, "Man, how do you guys deal with the humidity here in Boston?? It's killing me!"... They all just laughed at me but I was being dead serious. I guess it's just something you get used to but I don't know if I'll ever get used to it!
Here are some pics from the marathon madness.
This picture is a perfect illustration of how many people were watching the marathon!
I must admit I was truly inspired by these runners.
It takes a lot of determination and hard work to train for a marathon (not that I know from experience... but I can only imagine).
It's cool to me that these people put so much work into something that is so mentally and physically challenging.
I must say I had somewhat of a sentimental moment as I watched a mom cheer on her daughter who was running the marathon.... she was cheering so loud and jumping up and down.
She had so much pride in her daughter... you could see it in her face.
I loved it. :)
Next year I will be running the Boston marathon... JUST KIDDING!! I enjoy running but I have no desire to run 26.2 miles. It would be the death of me. I'm more of a 2-3 mile run kind of girl.... at least for now.





No comments:
Post a Comment