Wednesday, August 31, 2011

2,500 Miles Later...

Well we finally arrived in Boston yesterday afternoon!!
I'm happy to say we got here without ever: 
a. Running out of gas (Although there were a few close calls)
b. Getting lost
c. Breaking down
 d. Having the trailor get unhitched from the truck

So overall, the road trip was successful! I actually enjoyed the driving part because I got to sleep, read, etc..... AJ on the other hand had to be super attentive the whole time.  He handled it like a champ though!

I'm really excited to be here, although, I must admit I got really homesick yesterday for the first time since we left home.  It's strange to be in an entirely new city where you don't know ANYBODY!! Not to mention, this place is a lot different from what I'm used to.  There are people EVERYWHERE! Needless to say, driving here is a bit stressful.  AJ and I agreed that we are not going to drive our car around here unless we absolutely have to just because it is so insane! It's a good thing that the public transportation here is so awesome. 
Although I miss my friends and family a lot right now, I recognize that this will be a good experience for me.  It's good to be the minority for once in my life. :)

I think I will grow a lot over the next three years.... but I know I'll have to work at it.  I'm going to have to push myself to make friends and get involved in different things. 

AJ has been at orientation all day today and he was excited/nervous about that.  It's definitely a scary feeling to be starting all over again in a place where you don't have any friends yet.  

 Along our road trip, we stopped in Nauvoo for a day and a half and we had a lot of fun! I had already been to Nauvoo when I was 12 or so, but there's a lot you forget in ten years.  I definitely have a new appreciation for the pioneers now!! They had to leave their homes (many people had just finished building their homes there in Nauvoo), many of their possessions, and the town they had become familiar with.  I look at my situation and consider myself pretty lucky.  Although I also moved away from everything I was comfortable with and many people I loved, I did not have to trek across the country in a covered wagon and endure many physical hardships like the pioneers did.  I did not have to leave many of my things behind and start all over. I am able to still talk to everyone I love on a daily basis through phone calls, text, skype, facebook, etc!! 
Overall, I'm pretty lucky. 

Here are a few pics we took in Nauvoo! 


AJ outside of Carthage Jail

                                                                      Carthage Jail

                               This is the bullet hole that shot Hyrum Smith in the face and killed him. 


                                   Standing inside the room where both Hyrum and Joseph Smith died...

                                                                  Nauvoo Temple

                                    AJ and I got to do an endowment session here... it was awesome!
                                                   I promise the temple ISN'T leaning in real life....
                                          the lady who took our picture tilted the camera slightly. 


















4 comments:

  1. Oh brooke! I hate thinking about how you are gone and we didn't get to say goodbye. that was seriously LAME. i actually really don't like to think about it.

    but the nauvoo temple is gorgeous isn't it!? i am obviously not in the same situation as you but i feel like i would feel the exact same as you do. good luck! you and a.j. are going to have a blast and i REALLY hope it is not 3 years till we see each other again.

    pictures of boston soon!!! love you girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brookie - I love your blog! You will need to post pictures of your apartment (inside and out!) very soon. I am so excited for you. When you realize how awesome Boston is, please don't rub it in too much and try to pretend that you still miss us! ;) If you send your mailing address, I will have I&E color you pictures to hang on your fridge (how presh, right?) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brooke! I love the pictures! Moving is so exciting and so scary at the same time. You and AJ are so fun to be around I'm sure the two of you will be surrounded by friends in no time. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brookie.....We love the pics of Nauvoo...so pretty!!! Please send us your mailing address ASAP so the kids can send letters & pictures. I can't wait to see some Boston photos; especially your apt. =) Miss you love you tonz!!!

    ReplyDelete